Located about 6 kilometres southeast of Kampala’s central business district, Kibuli Mosque is one of the biggest and oldest mosques in Uganda with a beautiful view over Kampala. For a small fee you can visit the mosque and the towers as well.
The mosque’s history is closely linked to the history of Islam in the country. In 1844, Islam came to Uganda. Suuna II who was Kabaka of Buganda Kingdom from 1832 to 1856 embraced Islam despite some teachings which were at odds with Buganda practice and when his son, Mwanga II became Kabaka these were exacerbated. Over the course of the next generation, with the arrival of colonial powers the role of Kabaka was split from leadership of the Muslim community.
Prince Nuhu Mbogo was particularly strong so the British gave him the plot on the hill in Kibule thinking he would build his palace there. Instead, he built it in the valley and donated the land on the hill for a small mosque to be constructed. Later, Prince Mbogo’s son, Prince Badru Kakungulu donated a further 80 acres in order that additional institutions could be built.
In 1941, the Aga Kan visited and wanted to assist in building a mosque on the site. The cost was to be Uganda Shillings 250,000 at the time and in order to help facilitate fundraising the Aga Khan offered a ‘shilling for a shilling’ fund matching programme and as money was raised building began.
The mosque was completed in 1951 and opened for service the same year. The current patron of the mosque is Prince Kassim Nakibinge Kakungulu, the grandson of Prince Mbogo.
Kibuli Mosque sits atop Kibule Hill along with an associated nursery, primary and secondary schools, hospital and nursing school.
The best times to visit the mosque are: 8am-12pm, 2-4pm, and 5-7pm.